Monday, February 8, 2016

What kind of friend are you?

We all have that one friend (or multiple) that make not the best decisions. Whether it’s their health choices such as drinking all the time or more of a moral choice such as cheating on their significant other. While all this is happening we stand idly by while these people run their lives into the ground. I am a culprit of this also. I have watched numerous friends of mine be in relationships that are so blatantly damaging and sick and said nothing or gave them what they wanted to hear. “Oh I am sure that he will change and stop messaging other women” or “Maybe he was having a bad day (again) and it will get better”. I give them a false reassurance that if they just stick it out that it will get better. Then I watch them fall deeper and deeper into that hole of low self-esteem and misery.

I do all this because I am afraid of losing their friendship and not wanting to stick my nose where it doesn’t belong and lets be real, who really likes confrontation? Still I watch these people post on facebook about how horrible their lives are and nobody understands the pain they are feeling. Then they get exactly what they want. Attention! They get the “It will get better” or “I am so sorry you are going through this” or “you shouldn’t put up with that” and it just feeds the victim machine and they keep doing it because they are getting exactly what they want. They are like small children throwing a fit and everyone that comments or eggs them on is like giving a small child a cookie to stop them from screaming. They are going to keep doing it because they are getting exactly what they want.

I am just going to come out and say it. You are not being a good friend when you do this. You are promoting their toddler tantrums and encouraging them to keep living in their insanity. You are not trying to lift them up. If anything you are keeping them down. That is not being a good friend. Supporting them when they are making bad decisions is not being a good friend.

I had a friend that I really cared about but he drank all of the time and was always getting into bar fights. He was slowly killing himself and causing damage everywhere he went. I said nothing because sometimes he was fun to drink with and I feared if I said anything that I would lose him as a friend. So I just let him keep doing it and it got worse and worse. Eventually he went to jail and sobered up. I am so grateful for that but I did nothing to try to help him when he was out of control. He very well could have died and I had just sat back and watched.

So the solution? It’s not easy. I am not saying go out and find everyone on facebook posting “poor me” post and tell them to suck it up sally. I am saying that when a friend comes to you and tells you that (for example) their love life is on the rocks you actually be honest with them. By giving them the “this will pass” speech you are cheating yourself out of an opportunity to be a good person and a good friend. Yes they may be mad at you and it may be really hard to be honest but at least you have said your peace. I am not saying to tell them to leave that person because that is not your place, but telling them “They cheated on you. That’s not ok and someone that loves you wouldn’t do that. It was wrong and you should figure out if you want to be in that kind of relationship”.

Or how about a friend that is always complaining about how life is crapping on them? How about instead of saying “wow that sucks that life is doing that to you” how about trying “what are you going to do about it and how can I help?”. If they insist on doing nothing about it than that is their choice and you don’t have to bring the cake to their pity party.

There are always exceptions. Such as a friend who just got dumped. Let them wallow for a bit and be sad. Don’t go out and start being cold to your friends because you don’t agree with how they live. All I am saying is you don’t have to play into anything your friends choose to do.

What I do when I see someone continuously post about how crappy their life is I ignore it. I don’t like it and I don’t respond to it. If they come to me asking my advice I give them my honest opinion and they can take it or leave it. I put it out there and it’s theirs to take it as they please.

That’s what I have for you today. I hope it struck a chord for some of you.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. Good stuff. I need honesty and I give honesty. I think weighing the damage you might cause by saying what you think versus the damage that is caused by you not saying something can be life and death. Also the intention and good will toward your friend is very important. Spirit of helpfulness and love is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came really close to going on Facebook and tearing a bunch of new ones... then you told me not to do that so I figured I better not to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy to be blind when you're on the inside of a situation - and that's where friends are supposed to come in and help you see the light. However... You can only lead a horse to water, it's up to them to drink it. Never be afraid to speak up, and it doesn't mean you have to be mean or rude, but a concerned message out of love will go a long way for your own conscious and if you're lucky, it'll help the friend, too.

    ReplyDelete